Starseed

Starseed - Liz Gruder In all honesty, sci-fi is a genre I enjoy, but haven't gotten into much, and space-y books are always a question mark for me. The synopsis of this book caught my attention though, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The beginning was interesting, taking a look at Kaila's family and life, and she seemed pretty relatable. With the exception, of course, of her tin foil head-covering and blonde wig...

Her first few meetings with the aliens, masquerading as High School students, was quite humorous, and had me laughing at several points. The descriptions of them fit most of the sci-fi standards for humanoid-looking aliens, which was nice. As Kaila finds out more about herself, her family, and her past, things become much more complicated, and less humorous. Ominous and scary events and plans unfold, and take the story on an exciting ride.

I liked this book overall. The characters were really different, and I enjoyed all the plot turns in the story. The story was well written and easy to follow. The author did a wonderful job of describing the surreal elements of the story, carrying the reader though an exciting adventure.

I took away two stars because of some plot points I personally didn't care for (no spoilers here, folks), and through part of the book, it did get somewhat confusing. I would still recommend this book though, especially if you're a fan of alien stories, and, even if you're usually not, this one may surprise you :)

*I was given an ebook copy of this book, by the author, in exchange for an honest review.