The Goddess's Wishes

The Goddess's Wishes - Lissette E. Manning Greek mythology, myths, and legends. Many books focus and circle around these themes- some good, some ok, and some not-so-good. Before I say anything else, let me say this: the two star rating, to me, means “it was ok” per Goodreads star rating standards, and my personal site's “Rose Rating” where two roses equals “just ok.” This book was exactly that- meh, just ok.

That being said, here's what I thought of this book. The main character, a variation and distortion of the goddess Artemis, chaste huntress and protector of young women, was infuriating. Her entire presumption was that, not only does she deserve to take Zeus's (her father) place, but that anyone she goes to for help in overthrowing the thrown will help her, if she pouts and bats her eyelashes. It reminded me quite a bit of a spoiled little girl, who wants more power, and doesn't mind hurting people to get it. Which, perhaps that's the author's point, I'm not sure.

The biggest problem I had with this story, however, is the very thin plot. Artemis has very little reasoning to justify her actions, therefore creating a somewhat boring story. Half of it is filled with her flitting around creation, asking for help to find out info about Callidora, while keeping her desire to overthrow Zeus a secret. The other half of the story is filled with her having promiscuous and/or sexual encounters with her twin brother and cousins- ew. That, and describing her private baths in detail- again, ew. I didn't care for those things being thrown in there at random, and it simply added to the feeling that the plot was too thin to hold itself up. I felt like the book was saying “Here's a random story, with very little going on, and to avoid this only being 20 pages long, lets throw in some inappropriate incest and masturbation, because hey, sex sells!”

Now, to clarify, I'm not saying the author is a bad writer- she's not. She is actually a good writer, and with a bit deeper plot to work with, I think she could come up with an entertaining story. This one, however, at least as far as this reviewer is concerned, was just ok. I was able to read the whole thing, was mildly curious as to what was going to happen, but when it was over, I didn't feel a sense of loss, or desire to read it again. I didn't hate it, it just didn't dazzle or impress me. I would recommend it, if you think it sounds interesting (it does have a LOT of mature content though, so be prepared). Overall, this was ok, a quick read, and I'm ready to move on.

*I was given an ARC eCopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.