Shredded

Shredded - Karen Avivi From the synopsis on Goodreads, this book sounded like a fantastic read. Having spent most of my time as a kid either reading or on my bike, skate-board, or roller blades, a book about a BMX girl definitely sounded interesting.

The plot in this book is fantastic, and exactly what I was hoping for. Thankfully lacking the teen angst and emotional yo-yos that often accompany YA books, this story has realism and depth, while being a wonderful inspiration. We get to follow Josie on her summer adventure and watch her grow, facing decisions and challenges that ultimately help shape her as a person. The moral of this story, and the lessons presented, are all timeless and wonderful, and are mixed perfectly with the life of a teenage BMX athlete.

The characters are all fantastic, and all easy to relate to. Complete with quirky parents, an irritating brother, old friends that seem to slip away, new friends who become family, and acquaintances you still can't figure out. The side characters are all interesting- they all contribute to creating a full little community, and add a great sense of realism and depth to the story. The BMX stunts are all simply awesome, and fill the book with amazing, adrenaline-filled action scenes.

The synopsis (or blurb) really does a great job at describing this book- it's right on the nose, and the book is as good as it sounds. I love the ending, and the life lessons in this story are all very touching. The writing is simply marvelous- with wonderfully researched descriptions of stunts and events, the author pulls you in and effectively shows you the world of BMX.

The themes of feminism and sexism are most definitely apparent, and while I'm not exactly a feminist myself, those ideas are a very important part of this story, and I'm sure make the main female characters very relatable. I gave it 4 stars simply because that fits the best- while it wasn't in the "loved it" category, it's a really good story, and a book I would definitely recommend.

*I was given an ebook copy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.