Holding On and Letting Go (The Ties That Bind Us, #1)

Holding On and Letting Go (The Ties That Bind Us, #1) - K.A. Coleman (Pen Name was Lucy Kelly) To be quite honest, this review is difficult for me to write. Not because this was a book I didn't like, but because it's a book that's left me completely speechless, and touched me in a way I wasn't expecting. This contemporary realistic fiction novel is, by far, one of the best books I have ever read. I can't remember a story that's made me cry as much as this one has, and I loved every minute of it. The situations and events in this story are so real, and so deep, it's impossible not to be moved.

The main character, Emerson (Emmy), is a young woman I can relate to very well. Many of the things she went through in this story hit close to home, and I loved connecting to her throughout this book. I think she would be a very relatable character to anyone who's lost a loved one, especially a sibling. All her friends are characters with personalities I think anyone can relate to as well, and associate with someone in their own life. The depth of the realism these characters have, and that this story has created, is truly breathtaking. Every single character grows, and overcomes obstacles in their lives, which fills this story with inspiring triumphs and achievements.

This is truly one of the best books I have ever read, it both in story, and simply in the writing. It flowed smoothly, and while there were editing mistakes, they were no match for the powerful story Mrs. Coleman created. Overall, this is a book I plan on keeping for a long time to come, and plan on reading many more times. I'd recommend this story to anyone who enjoys young-adult realistic fiction with innocent contemporary romance.

*I was given an ecopy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.