Ancient Blood: A Novel of the Hegemony

Ancient Blood: A Novel of the Hegemony - Brian Patrick McKinley Honestly, when I read the description of this book on Goodreads, it seemed pretty straight forward. I wasn't expecting a book that would scare the socks off me. I wasn't expecting a book that would make me feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality. I wasn't expecting some serious depth and detail. Boy, was I wrong.

The plot in this book is really interesting. Fast paced and full of surprises, it captures not only the best kind of thrilling mystery, but also suspenseful action and vampire secrets. Full of vivid descriptions of characters and events, this book is a true look into the dark world of the vampire Order. With a secret in every shadow and corner, where no one is who they seem, no one is safe.

All the characters are very easy to imagine, especially for any vampire fan. Every quintessential stereotypical vampire seems to be present, all the way down to personality differences. The hierarchy of the Order and the system they're all working in show fascinating sides to each character, bringing a true sense of realism to a story most would like to hope is just a dark fantasy.

Written in a personal manuscript form, from Avery's point-of-view, made reading this book truly fascinating. The depth and detail in this book are incredible, and it's obvious that a lot of effort and research went into this story. The author did a fantastic job at making the situation realistic, and bringing Avery to life.

My overall thoughts on this book are mixed- many of the areas disturbed me to read, however they are perfect for the story, and oddly realistic. In the end, I have to say it's a really good book, and a great story, but not for the fainthearted. Certainly not a book for someone looking for a shallow vampire story. Perfect for anyone wanting a deep look into the world of vampires, and the reality that lies there. I rated it a four star simply because of my own issues with some of the areas (I'm almost a bit too fainthearted for this book! Haha). I would certainly recommend this book though- it was a good read, kept me at the edge of my seat and seriously hoping for a good ending!

*I was given an ebook copy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.