Unfinished Business (Angela Panther #1)

Unfinished Business (Angela Panther #1) - Carolyn Ridder Aspenson While dealing with real life issues is always difficult, this story puts a humorous paranormal spin on the chaos most people hope to avoid in their life. Turning the sadness of a mother's death into a comedy is challenging, but this book succeeded. Most of us wish, when a parent dies, that we could have had more time with them. This book certainly has a “be careful what you wish for” aspect, all while tackling deep life issues, and fighting those sneaky carbs.

Filling this story, are several colorful and crazy characters. Angela's honest and realistic sense of humor is probably pretty accurate for most women, making her a good icon for the modern wife and mom. I loved the fact that she and Jake had a good marriage, and there wasn't any kind of unfaithful husband drama- it's nice to read a chick-lit story where there's a happy marriage. Angela's mom, the back-from-the-light spirit with a crazy sense of humor, is by far, the funniest and most entertaining character. Mel's one liners are killer, and most people would kill for a friend like her. The kids all seemed pretty typical, which is sad, but the honesty behind their personalities was refreshing. What I loved most about this story, is how it successfully showed the personal growth of each of the characters, and in the end, leaves you with a sense of connection and growth as well.

I don't read chick-lit very often, and really it was the paranormal aspect of this story that peaked my interest. I personally couldn't relate to several of the running jokes in the story, and that did have me feeling somewhat alienated and uncomfortable. The jokes weren't at all uncommon or in bad taste, they're just not things I joke about or read about very often. Most women make those kinds of jokes with their friends though, so I think this book would be very relatable for most women.

The overall writing was good. The author kept the story flowing well, and seamlessly mixed humor with serious topics. While there were several minor editing mistakes in the edition I read, they didn't pull me out of the story too much, and I've been informed by the author that they've since been corrected. I think I'd be happy to read just about anything from Mrs. Aspenson, and look forward to more of her books in the future.

Overall, I liked this book, and I think it's is a solid 4 star comedy. This is certainly a story I'd like to continue with, and I'm looking forward to the sequel. I'd recommend this book to any chick-lit fan, or anyone who enjoys a good seeing-dead-people-because-I'm-a-spirit-medium story.

*I was given an ebook copy of this book, from the author, to read in exchange for an honest review.