Element, Part 1

Element, Part 1 - C.M. Doporto This book was just O.K. Not great, but ok.

The first 3/4 of the book or so read very much like a Spanish Soap Opera, which I didn't particularly care for. The reactions each character had were very dramatic and emotional, and not very realistic (especially the main character, Natalie). Each scene gave a clear picture of overly dramatic people, and picturing it as anything but a Soap was very difficult...

The writing was not realistic at all- the dialogue was some-what cheesy, and irritating, and had a lot of phrases that didn't make much sense. For example, Ryan is supposed to be a Southern Texas cowboy, yet many of his lines read like a surfer guy from SoCal...then he'd have a random line like "this condo is kickin'" ...what??

It seemed very disjointed and confused- like the characters aren't completely defined, and very unsettled.

It also somewhat seemed like a book written by a dictionary...every phrase was something you'd expect to hear from a proper English professor...not college Freshmen (even if some of them were nerds...). It just wasn't very believable or realistic, and got to be somewhat monotonous in tone.

The reason I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 2, is because once the plot got going (past the monumentally frustrating main chunk of the book with a lot of redundant personal challenges and internal turmoil from the main character) toward the end of the book, it actually got interesting. I hate when books leave on a cliff-hanger, but it did leave me wanting to read the next book, now that there's more of a story than "Oh my, I'm so afraid to trust anyone, but gosh darn it, you're sexy, and I just want to bang you so bad, who cares?!" *fake Southern accent there*.

I'm hoping the next book will be better, and since I am still considering reading the series, I'm leaving it a 3 star instead of 2.

I'd recommend it if 1) you don't mind cheesy Soap Opera plots and dialogue to trudge through til the last few chapters, and, 2) the next book in the series/the series all together, sounds interesting to you.

*I was given an ebook copy of this book, by the author, in exchange for an honest review.